Remember the Avenger movie that was a Captain America movie named Civil War? Yeah, it was good but in that the new Sony Spiderman made an appearance in the Disney Avengers. That was exciting but more so was he was spot on as the wisecracking teenager Spidy. So after seeing Peter Parker in detention watching a video featuring Captain America whom he just fought… Mike was sold. I was willing to try again. There had been enough time after the terrible Spiderman 3 starring Toby McGuire. That movie actually burned me so bad I skipped all the Spiderman movies since. BUT I have to say this one was spot on.
First the things I loved about this movie.
- It didn’t do the whole origin story again. Yeah it touched on some things but we didn’t have to see Ben die and the whole dark night of the soul for Peter coming to “with great power comes great responsibility” thing.
- It starts right after Civil War and refers to events in the Avengers (Disney) universe. Loki’s destruction of New York and the left behind Centauri equipment plays an important part.
- Spidy is a high schooler and isn’t struck on MJ – just yet.
- Ned. Just Ned the high schooler that’s Spidy’s man in the chair.
- Tony Stark trying to be a father figure AND be Tony too.
- Happy is well and back.
- Aunt May is actually aunt age not great-grandmother mummy age. She’s hot, hip and the right age to be his mother’s older sister.
- Ned. Did I mention I love Ned?
- Marvel universe easter eggs and yes Tyne Daley is perfectly cast. I can’t wait to see more of her character. The whole Damage Control Inc. is awesome and we can thank Loki for their being as his NYC attack created them. (Psst I can’t wait to see him back in NYC in Ragnarok but then again I just can’t wait to see Loki and Thor)
- The Avenger building and the move upstate is in the movie and Easter eggs galore in that – Thor’s magic belt, Cap’s new shield… and well let you find the rest. Watch out for… “Don’t want to put May through more after all she’s been through lately.” “Dude the radioactive spider is dead now.”
- Ned, don’t want to leave out the guy in the chair.
- The final scene with May even if they didn’t let her finish her line.
- Both kickers… both of ’em stay to after the credits.
Things I noted in the film
- Robert Downey Jr and Michael Keaton both need a good moisturizer. Hey it’s not age. I’m the same age as Robert and I know the importance of a good moisturizer dude.
- I hated high school such a confusing time with crushes, not being in crowd, wanting to be more but just being a kid. I don’t miss it and seeing movies with high schoolers gives me knots in my stomach remembering that time.
- Marsia Torme rocks long hair and high waisted pants real well.
- Teachers should be more upset when students disappear on an overnight field trip and don’t show up for the competition.
- I wonder if Loki is aware of the mischief his army’s left over tech is causing. I think he’d be proud.
- So when and aging Batman goes bad he’s Vulture?
Things I didn’t like about the film:
- Spiderman looked too rubbery jumping building to building. Remember Halle Berry’s Catwoman rubbery jumping? Yeah it’s like that. It’s bad like that.
- Why does May dress as if she’s straight from the 60s?
- Pepper Potts is back. I didn’t miss her and I certainly didn’t miss Gwen. Oh and I don’t believe in magic healing not-really-from-NASA stickers.
- Spidy was not as quipping while fighting as he was in Civil War. What happened if you can quip while fighting some of the earth’s mightiest why not when going after Vulture?
- Karen/Jarvis in Spidy’s suit. She’s moving in on Ned’s job. Did I mention I adored Ned?
Overall it’s a great and fun movie. I’m glad at least Sony played nice with Disney to get Spiderman in the same universe as the Avengers. It makes the whole thing just more enjoyable for us Marvel geeks. Sadly we will not get to see Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine as an Avenger and facing off with Marisa’s Aunt May over household things in the Avenger compound. Like Wolvie smoking indoors and she puts his cigar out in his morning orange juice. But we do get to see Spidy interact with Tony and that alone is worth price of admission but then you get to see Spidy fight Vulture and you get Ned. Did I mention Ned?