Wednesday Words – That Gap Has a Name

When I see a front gap between teeth I think of David Letterman and Lauren Hutton. Showing my age aren’t I? But did you know that gap has a name? It’s diastema.

In general that means a gap in teeth. If you are speaking in zoological terms it is the space that occurs between types of teeth say incisors and grinding teeth. BUT when you are referring to humans it means that gap… you know that one in the front there… that’s a diastema.